Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Husband brag~NRECA International.






R has begun his journey to Caracol, Haiti for volunteer powerline work. He is going through the NRECA, he works for an REC here and the International coop sends volunteers all over the world to help  power lineman set up new lines, fix lines from damage done by natural disasters and to teach linemen techniques to work safely.  R has been wanting to do something like this for a very long time, I think I got him somewhat hooked on mission trips when we went to New Orleans together my senior year of college. But he's also been hooked on travel for a long time.  He had applied prior to this trip but the trips like this one fill up quickly, because he missed out on the other one, he was one of the first to be selected for this one. He happened to have exactly the amount of vacation needed and it's a good time to go for him.

While there he'll be helping hook up about 60 new accounts. These are for people that have never ever had electricity before. I can't imagine being one of those people or one of the workers helping to provide this, I'm sure it's an amazing feeling. Beyond that I can't tell you much because we don't really know until he gets there. 

He'll be in Caracol, Haiti. The weather is going to be in the 70s to 80s while here at home temperatures are going to be dropping to more seasonal, I think I saw a 28 on the future cast...
There are 2 other guys going but they're from a Minnesota Co-op, R met up with them on their lay-over in Dallas tonight.

I know he's very excited to be able to experience what he will but I know he's a little nervous too so prayers are defiantly appreciated. This is also going to be the longest we'll be apart with out conversation since we've been married (actually I think since I got back from London). He'll have limited internet access while he's there but I know he'll be pretty busy.
You can read more about the NRECA projects here. And if you feel obligated you can also donate there, so far we haven't been responsible for any of the costs, which is great for us but I know how expensive it could be to fly 3 guys and all their gear to a foreign country. R alone had 2 check bags, one being over weight and a carry on because there's a lot of heavy supplies they need people to bring down to avoid post office fees.

There is a lot more information on their website and Facebook page   (picture on there facebook too!) It's neat to see how things are done in different countries. If you're a lineman or linewife I encourage you to look into it! Feel free to contact me and I can give you more info when R gets back about what it was like and what he did! They're always sending people to do work! Sometimes it's last minute, they asked for volunteers to leave week of an earthquake in Guatamala but R had about a month to prepare.

I am so proud of R for being willing to go and do this when he has no idea really about what he is getting in to and knows no one else. I know he'll experience a little bit of culture shock (especially with food!) but it's going to be an amazing experience for him. I'm sure I'll share some more stories when he comes back! But if you feel like praying for us that would be awesome.

This is from an email we got about what to expect:
When you get off the plane in Cap Haitien, all hell seems to break loose. Take a deep breathe, remember this ordeal will be over in about half an hour. Sort of like giving birth – let your wife or mother fill you in on the details.... Keep telling yourself, I’ve made to Haiti and beyond the airport exit is even a bigger adventure.



Off to study for finals now! 1 week left of the semester! I'm so ready to work on some projects and be able to be on call for the ambulance again!

1 comment:

  1. Blessings to both of you! I got the chills when I read the part about hooking up electricity for those, who have never had it! I feel so spoiled, yet blessed that my brother in law is going to share the gift of electricity! Looking forward to hear about this amazing journey and also to feel your relief at Christmas, as you are one semester closer ~ So proud of you both! <3

    ReplyDelete