Thursday, November 10, 2011

What's for dinner?

Randy is out of town and I was tired of lame suppers and lunches when he's gone or when we work opposite schedules so I decided to try out a recipe I have had for a while and had the stuff for.  So here it is.  I'm not sure where I got it from so I apologize if I stole it from you without credit. Leave me a comment and let me know!
Cheesy Chicken & Shells
1 1/2 cups shell pasta
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup of water
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 can (10 3/4 oz) Condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup Velveeta cheese chopped
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
salt & peper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1-2 Tablespoons melted butter
2-3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs

Cook the pasta. Meanwhile, combine flour and water in a sauce pan until smooth, stir frequently. Gradually stir in broth (I didn't do it gradually so mine was a little clumpy but I don't think it changed the results.) Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat add soup, cheese and seasonings.  Cook and stir 5 minutes or until cheese melts take off heat.
Add pasta, and chicken to soup/cheese mix. 
Put in 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs that have been mixed with the butter. 
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 

Sound like a lot of work but it really wasn't so bad for the results. Now I'm not a big fan of Velveeta but there's not a lot in it so it's only a faint taste of it. I supposed you could maybe substitute cheese soup but it's only a quarter cup. It's like a homemade mac and cheese with chicken. Pretty good. 
Oh, and the chicken I used is probably the best ever if you can find it. It's Tyson's Grilled and Ready Chicken.
All you have to do is microwave it for about 4 minutes and it's ready to go! Great for other recipes that call for chicken too!
Also, I should have probably put it in a bigger dish but this one worked out.

That's what was for dinner. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment