Sunday, September 4, 2016

My new healthy

I have always struggled with my weight. Growing up I was always the ‘big girl’.  I think all kids have thoughts about their weight whether it be too much or too little. We are notorious for comparing ourselves to others. When we are born, we’re placed on a curve to see where we fall compared to everyone else our age. Physical fitness tests line us up. I always felt humiliated after these by only getting a certain number, and sometimes not getting the ‘standard’. I could never do a pull up, I still can’t. But that doesn’t make me unfit. As a women in our society, this makes me scared for my children. If I have a girl, I hope she doesn’t feel like I did growing up.


When I got to college, I began to get a little more comfortable in my own skin. If you know me, you know I don’t wear make-up. To be quite honest, I don’t really know how when I do so I’m more comfortable not wearing any. For the most part, at home I’m in athletic shorts and a baggy tee shirt. I wear scrubs to work. however, after gaining an excessive amount during my pregnancy and using food as a reward or crutch, I knew something needed to change. Especially when my blood pressure was still elevated after delivery. I was obese according to my BMI, this was hard to hear. So something needed to change. I put it off for a while because I had a good thing going with nursing Henry and didn't want to hurt that. My gym membership worked for awhile, but then our schedules changed. A friend contacted me about beachbody and 21 day fix. I gave {eventually} in. The rest is history. :)


I have had many comments about how much weight I have lost. I’ve been told I needed to get smaller scrubs. I walked to get pizza the other night, and today someone messaged me that her husband saw me and noticed how much weight I had lost, I was in crappy shorts and an old shirt.


My clothes are loose. Numbers aren’t everything but I am down 20 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. I have more confidence, I am happier and have more energy. How have I done this?


I do attribute much of my success to being able to breastfeed Henry. We are just beginning to finish our journey and I know how lucky and special this is. I find joy knowing I provided the majority of his nutrition for 16 months! I’m quite certain though, he doesn’t get credit for all of it!


The rest of the weight loss is from hard work and determination. There’s no easy fix for weight loss. By setting goals, having motivation, and doing something I enjoyed I was successful.
I’m eating better, I enjoy working out, I have more confidence. People have noticed my weight loss, this is just a perk to everything else.

I fell in love with a program that anyone can do! It’s not a magic pill, it’s not a meal replacement program, it’s hard work. A friend said to me, “who needs ‘it works’, when I work.” I’m not perfect, I didn’t follow 21 day fix to the max, I binged. I skipped workouts but my overall health is better. I feel better. I've recently developed a "catch phrase", if you will, of "Find your healthy."

To me, it's about what makes you happy and what makes you feel better. I never thought I would be a motivator for weight loss or exercise but here I am. I'm not sure what me being a "coach" will look like but right now, I just want to share my story and encourage you to find something you enjoy and makes you happy.


~H~



No comments:

Post a Comment